Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Avery's Friend

When we first moved here Avery made a new friend, Simon. They only went to school together for 4 months but formed a strong bond. Simon moved into a group home in another city, but he calls Avery when he is home for a visit. So today we went and picked up Simon and headed to Longview for a day of fun.

They were so excited to see each other! And Zachery was as thrilled to see Simon or Sigh Man as he calls him. lol I have to say that even kids with disabilities tease each other. The first time Zachery called Simon, Sigh Man at a special olympic track meet, the other kids all laughed and teased Simon. It really cracked us up!

We went to Best Buy, Target, Game Stop and Chuck E Cheese. Simon had never been there. I read a book and the kids had a blast! It was a really fun day.

Simon's group home was nice enough. It just makes me sad to think of him there. He says he hates it and wants to go home. Unfortunately his dad died 4 years ago and his mom is mentally challenged too. So Simon is a little overwhelming for her. The guy working at the group home said how nice it was that we picked him up, that it somehow made us good people. I don't see it that way. Simon is Avery's friend. It doesn't matter that he's different. I mean have you met my kids? lol We love different! But it made me sad that is it rare for someone to show up and visit or take someone somewhere.

And I have to say it scares the hell out of me. For the future, for when we are gone and Avery is alone. I really hope that he won't ever be. That he will always have someone to pick him up and be a part of their lives. I know he has Zachery. And it is our hope that one day Zachery takes as good of care of Avery as Avery has taken of Zachery. And when I watch them together and I see what an incredible relationship they have I know that no matter what else they will always be brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment