Monday, December 28, 2009

Friends

I wonder what that word means to people. Are friends just people you know? Are they people you hang out with? People you have known for a long time? What does it mean to be a friend?

There are people I know and people who are 'friends' on facebook. But I have a few friends that I think define the meaning. They are the ones who know me. They understand my humor and my pain and my joy. There are there for me when I need and they fill my life.

Some of my best friends I have never met in person. I have spent time with them on line or on the phone but we live too far apart. They are not the ones I have know the longest but they are the ones who know me the best. Shelly, Chantel, Mary and Sarah, I love keeping up with you and spending time with you. We have shared so much over the past almost six years. You fill my life with love and laughter and joy. Lisa and Lisa you two are like my sisters. I can't believe how many hours of my life I have spent talking to you two. lol I wish Boston and Portland were not so far apart. But they are not that far if you ever need me. Yvette, I swear you are me on the other side of the world. lol The me my mom always told me was there. One day we will sit and have tea and a lovely chat. And Val who I was lucky enough to get to have dinner and a very long chat with this summer!

There are friends I have enjoyed getting to know again, like Cheryl and Ronnie and Sheri. And really good friends like Katy, I am thrilled I have found again. And I have a new friend, Rene that makes me smile when I think of her. But there are also those who have been in my life forever , like Melissa and Jennifer and our friendship has lasted through the years.

I was watching real housewives of New York tonight and almost threw up. I can't believe these people call themselves friends. They obviously do not know the meaning of the word. They don't know Shawnee, Melanie or Melinda, Sandra, Julie, Di or even Sandy. They don't have each others back. One of the silliest things I have done is play farmtown. But I love it and the thing I love most is being able to chat with my friends, Melanie mostly. She was someone I knew for a long time but is now someone I call friend.

What I mostly want to say, is thank you. Thank you for being my friend. For sharing with me, and listening to me, and laughing with me. Thank you for being there for me and for letting me be there for you. For me it's important to give a part of myself to my friends. To share who I am with who you are. There are friends I think about and miss having them in my life, like Kayla. But for whatever reason life has taken us in different directions. I don't take the term friend lightly, to me it is one of the most important things a person can be.

So as we wind up this year and are getting ready to bring in the new year I wanted to say thank you. I am looking forward to sharing your lives and sharing mine. And I am excited about who God will bring into my life this year as a new friend or a closer friend. And if you were here I would buy you a pint. lol


Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;
But we’ve wandered many a wearyfoot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine ;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

No comments:

Post a Comment