Friday, April 3, 2020

I'm Still Your Child's Teacher

I keep seeing posts about parents homeschooling now.  That's not how it's supposed to be.  Schools are still supposed to provide instruction and lessons.  The instruction is just happening virtually now.  All parents should be doing is making sure students do their work and helping like they would with homework.  That's not homeschooling.  Homeschooling is where you provide the curriculum, instruction, and lessons. It's where you're in it alone.

As your child's teacher, I still want to be a part of their lives and education.  I want to make sure they are understanding the work I send out, and I will provide support to them if they don't. I am designing lessons with my team that our students should be able to do with our support and your encouragement.

On Monday our lessons are posted online by 8:00 am.  Every week I am on Google Meets waiting for students to show up that need help.  I'm really just waiting to see their faces and hoping I can do something for them.  I check my google classroom hourly for messages, questions, and work.  I grade and send everything back with a note of encouragement, I miss you, please try again, or I'm so proud of you.  By Thursday, I am sending emails to each student who hasn't completed their work.  I then send my weekly email to parents reminding them to have their students go into their classroom and check to make sure they have passing grades or massing assignments.  Then I start texting each parent that has a child with missing assignments.  I have to make sure they are able to access them and have internet.  I'm making sure they are getting lunches, have devices, or any other needs I can help with.

I have parents that I use google translate to communicate with, parents that regularly check in with me to make sure their child is doing what they need to, and parents that have never answered an email or text. They are worried, stressed, and overwhelmed and many are essential employees working on the front lines.  I give the support I can, the assurances that if they can't get to the hot spot in time I won't count it against their child.  That's it's ok if you can't afford internet I'll still find a way to teach your child.  I have had students just read me their work over the phone, text it to me, or take a picture of it.  I'll do whatever it takes to help your child and support you.  You gave them to me to be their teacher in August and my time isn't over.  We are in this together.  I think about you and your family and cry for you and for them with worry.  I saw so many incredible things from my students this year and I wasn't ready for it to end.  I'm still your child's teacher.









No comments:

Post a Comment