Sunday, October 14, 2012

October is National Down Syndrome Month

I never wanted this blog to be ‘about’ Down syndrome.  There have been times during the past 19 years that Down syndrome has consumed us and other times we hardly think about it.  I haven’t wanted the fact that I have a child with Down syndrome to define who I am.  I guess the reality is that it does, as much as all the other things in my life do. 

I am a wife, a mother, a sister and each of these things has made me who I am.  There was a time I didn’t know if I should tell people that my son has Down syndrome. It felt like I was keeping something secret or that it was something I was ashamed of.  But it is part of who he is and I am very proud of my son.  So I talk about it, because it’s ok. 

Avery, you are an amazing young man. I am so very blessed to get to be your mom.  Watching you grow up has been the delight of my life.  I can’t wait to see all the other amazing things you will do one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment