Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Wonder, Do People Just Not Know What to Say?

Over the past few months I have spent time on Facebook. It started as a way to chat with some friends I made on line. And others I didn't get to see often. Then I started finding old school friends and even family I don't get to talk to very much.

It has been a lot of fun. But as you start adding people you haven't seen in 20 years, it starts to get a little odd. I admit I'm fascinated by people's lives. And you get to peak at their pictures and see what their life is like now. I love it when they upload pictures of before! Like when I knew them because it can be hard to connect the picture you are looking at now with the person you used to know.

So like I said it's a little odd to say the least. And yes I'm a little crazy, ok I admit it. I'm crazy and paranoid. I always try to be nice and make a comment about their family and how lovely they are. I never admit to feeling shocked. And then here I sit, waiting. Waiting for someone to acknowledge my family. I'd like to know they even cared enough to look at any of my pictures at the least.

I wonder if I should change my status to say, Amy is Yes my son has down syndrome and it's ok to talk about it. So I wonder do they not say anything because they don't know what to say? Do they not say anything because they didn't care enough to even look? Do they not say anything because they are horrified I have such a child?

And the strange part is, it's even family. I don't get it. You friend me I look at your pictures and tell you how happy I am to see you and how cute the kids are. Then nothing. What's up with that? I will admit it's not everyone. My brother Todd and sister in law Debbie always have nice things to say. And my friends, you know the on line ones, the ones everyone says but do you really know them, they always have nice things to say. They share in my joys of being Avery's mom. And I love them for that. And there was one other. A girl who had it all in school and is still beautiful. She said my kids were cute but wanted to see a picture of me. So she looked, right? She had something nice to say.

So why do I worry about it? Hell I don't know. Because we have already discussed that that's what I do. I sit around and worry about inconsequential things. But it does hurt. Especially when I already feel sensitive. I am so very proud of my son. Avery amazes me with his sense of self, his generosity of spirit, his desire to make people laugh and yes he is a handsome young man. And he deserves for people to acknowledge him and to know that his is an amazing life full of laughter and joy.

So maybe my new status will be, Amy is deleting you if you don't say something nice about my sons.

1 comment:

  1. This is something I've learned, too. People just don't know what to say so they say nothing at all. I've actually lost friends because of this, but I guess they weren't friends to begin with...

    ReplyDelete